Sunday 15 August 2021

Interview with D J. Elton

Interview with D J. Elton




Q. Welcome to the blog. I’d like to begin by giving you a chance to introduce yourself. I guess author bios grow with every story you get published.


A: Hi Chris! Thanks for the opportunity to do this interview for your blog. It’s always a good reflective time, as someone else’s questions can trigger new ideas and attitudes to do with the writing journey. Actually, in my bio I don’t usually name specific stories or poetry, just share a growing list of publishers who’ve accepted my work. There’s probably around ten or twelve indie publishers that I’ve worked with, and some have come and gone, unfortunately, especially this year. I usually keep a bio size of around a hundred words. In fact I haven’t considered putting every published story into it, that could grow too big! I’m hopeful! All that aside, I write speculative fiction which includes dark fantasy, science fiction (mine is always about robots), and some horror (mostly with humour). I also write poetry about anything at all, some essays and paranormal romance.


Q. You’ve appeared in over 24 anthologies in the last three years. How did it all start?


A: My first accepted microfiction story, or drabble was called Crow and it went in a Black Hare Press anthology by the name of Angels. It was very, very exciting. The initial buzz of having one’s work recognised enough to be accepted is something very thrilling. So I kept on going, submitting to various calls from Black Hare Press, who were really into their drabble phase at the time. A drabble is a 100 word story. So, more acceptances and then I was writing short stories averaging around 5000 words or so for BHP, and other publishers as I got to know the field more.


Q. I get the feeling from your blog that your inspiration often comes from the anthology itself. When you’re given a theme to write about, the ideas come and the sparks start flying. Is this the secret to your success?


A: Earlier this year there were some anthology calls from a few publishers that were looking for legends and tales of old myths, as well as some Asian magical creatures. I did the research into these areas and found what really held my interest and what I could weave a story around. It was great fun to do. So there’s the research on various themes as well as one's own spark of inspiration, the personal stylistic weaving of the tale added to the mix. I did some postgraduate studies on Writing and Literature so that has also helped in my general repertoire.


Q. You’ve worked with a number of publishers. Who have been your favourites?


A: I continue to work with Black Hare Press although in the past couple of months I haven’t written or submitted too much as I’ve been packing up a house and all that it entails. I’m involved in a collection of stories about the versatile Alice, (of Wonderland fame), having pitched an idea, having it accepted, and then along with 12 other authors an anthology is being put together, which I’ve led. It’s been a good learning curve – working with the publisher plus with twelve authors. The Thirteen Lives of Alice is due out in November 2021. BHP are my favourite and they have grown broadly in what they can offer writers these days. Sweetycat Press and Clarendon House Publishing have also accepted my work including poetry, essays, and stories. Both have been super easy to work with and are fairly rock-steady, which is healthy. Kelly Matsuura at Insignia Stories is always a delight to work with; she is based in Japan. So I have publishers in Australia, US, and UK mostly. One was even in Pakistan!


Q. So if there are publishers you tend to go back to, how about the ones you vow never to contact again? Best not mention any by name here, but I’m interested to ask about any of the bad experiences you’ve had too. What advice do you have to publishers about how to (and how not to) treat their authors?


A: Actually I’ve never thought, “oh, I’ll never work with that group again.” What I have seen happen, in my fairly brief yet productive indie writing career, is that some publishers come and go. Of course there is a lot of interest in the new press, and I am speaking about speculative fiction here. Everyone is attracted to interesting, exciting calls to write, and especially if there is some form of payment. However if the publisher gets too zealous with putting out too many calls, and writers can be a voracious lot, the publishing team – if not well-organised and forward-visioning – can tend to burn out with work overload. I’ve seen this happen and it’s unfortunate. One minute here and then they are gone, and it becomes complicated when you may have work with them, contracts and expectations of publication. Publishers are good when they are well aware of their capacity of what calls they can manage and have a timely response to the submissions being received. Sometimes the crossing of business and personal boundaries complicates things too, as in any work environment.


Q. How about an introduction to the Zero Hour Anthology. It looks like a great sci-fi collection.


A: Zero Hour is a great cyberpunk read. It’s one of Black Hare Press’s 13 author series and David Green brilliantly moved it along. It’s about a time in the future where body parts can be readily augmented although there are degrees of quality in the results. It's big business and so corruption and power-hunger is there. The overall story covers the athletic side of augments, and details some fascinating characters including a female prize fighter and a renegade DJ. I’m happy to plug the book as it's a very interesting read, and I’ve been in quite a few anthologies with most of the authors, so I like to read their work.



Q. I’m also interested in your Alice in Wonderland themed anthology. Is this still a project in the works? How does the copyright work with such a project?


A: I spoke a little about The Thirteen Lives of Alice before. You’re right, it’s still a work in progress and will be out later in 2021. All the stories are uniquely new takes on a girl called Alice having an adventure whether it be dark fantasy, paranormal romance, sci-fi, crime or horror. So it contains a range of these flavours and from what I have seen so far – some great stories - Alice gets to go everywhere! It’s very 2021 and even futuristic. (No spoilers!) The authors invited to be part of this all have their own exceptional style, so it’s very exciting. I can’t wait to see the end product. As Alice in Wonderland was originally published over one hundred years ago, in the 1860s, it’s long-time been in the public domain, so it can be freely used and produced. Copyright would be with newer works; e.g. Disney and other movie versions.


Q. Okay, back to your writing. You say on your blog that typically you’re a 5 a.m. writer. Take us through the routine.


A: Actually I would be getting up quite early, to do an hour of meditation, then I would write for an hour or so. This changed lately as I’ve been in Sydney, in a different environment, so my writing got a bit haphazard. Since July it’s picked up though, and now I’m intending to write at night, between 8-10pm, as the early morning time can’t work now in the way it previously did. Early morning writing is good though, as you are more clear-headed and it flows better. But we snatch what time we can get. My busy life doesn’t allow me to sit at a desk all day to write. That would be such a luxury.


Q. Do you do research for all of your stories?


A: I do research more and more these days. I love it! I love history anyway, especially medieval and Wars of the Roses, that era, but I’ve also branched into Norse mythology earlier this year and it’s something quite interesting, as is the SE Asian research on mythical creatures etc. A little bit of research can give so many great ideas to follow through with a story, or at least a piece of 100 word microfiction. The drabble is a complete story, even at 100 words. But yes, I research events and people for most stories.


Q. Has the lockdown been a help or hindrance to your writing?


A: I don’t have a designated writing space although where I am currently had a big solid beautiful desk, so that’s definitely an incentive to write! So usually I go to a library close by. I like libraries a lot, especially big spacious ones. I often do edits there or write up a plot. So with lockdown the libraries are unfortunately shut. That’s one thing. Otherwise lockdown hasn’t dictated too much of an effect on my writing. I would think perhaps some writers are relishing the time at home to write longer and more freely.


Q. I guess I haven’t asked much about your life away from writing and it’s nice to include at least one question about that. So what do you do when you’re away from all this?


A: Lately I’ve been packing up a house, and then spending time living in a few different communities of people I have known for a long time who are meditators. It’s a really positive environment with people who are doing work on themselves and coming together within a group. I like it a lot. So I am getting healthier and fitter as there is a lot of walking during the day, and the air here in the mountains is cleaner and certainly very fresh. I’m getting a huge dose of nature! Usually I go yearly to India, and perhaps also the Philippines or Malaysia, but that’s not possible now, even interstate travel is problematic with Covid, so life has adapted to this. And of course I like to read, and catch up with people here and globally.


Q. Would you ever consider writing a novel about your travel experiences?


A: I have a few novel ideas floating on the backburner. They are usually something of a fantasy-memoir mix. Possibly urban fantasy. This year I intend to take the NanoWriMo month of writing more seriously and get cracking on a novella at least. I could throw in some travel experiences I guess, (thanks for the suggestion), as I have certainly had some adventures whilst travelling that could take a fantasy direction. Haha! Some of my short stories are set in foreign lands I have visited; India, Sumatra..Asian countries.


Thanks very much for the interview D J. Elton.

Thanks to you too Chris, for the opportunity! (Alice was always very curious!)




You can check out D J. Elton's blog here

connect with her on twitter here

and on facebook here



No comments:

Post a Comment